- Purchased new or used Apple Airpods and can’t figure out how to rename them?
- We dive deep into renaming your Apple AirPods on iOS, Windows, & Android!
- Step-by-step guides with images
- Also, check out our guide on how to fix an Airpod that’s not charging
We’ve put together this simple guide for you to follow on how to rename your AirPods. As well as this, we have answered some of the web’s most popular questions around the topic.
Let’s jump right in!
How to rename AirPods on iPhone or iOS
How to change your AirPod name on iPhone or iOS devices is simple.
The iPhone is notorious for its usability and interface. There is no doubt that incorporating the AirPods into this has a lot of thought behind it.
The method is the same for all iOS devices (iPhone, iPad). Before beginning, make sure your AirPods are connected.
- Open up Settings on your iOS device.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Select the “information” symbol (🛈) next to your Airpods device.
- Select the current name for your AirPods near the top.
- Input the new name for your device.
- Select “Done” to confirm the new name.
We told you renaming your AirPods was easy!
How to rename AirPods on Mac
Changing the name of your Airpods on your Mac is also very easy.
Apple wants you to keep buying products from within the family. Great integration between products is a huge part of this strategy.
I’m sure we’ve all heard the term “Apple’s Ecosystem”. This method will work on your Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, or any iMac computer. Again please check your AirPods are connected before continuing.
- On your Apple menu, select “System preferences”
- Open up your Bluetooth settings
- Right-click the Airpods you are wanting to change the name of
- Select “Rename” from the menu
- Click the “Rename” button to confirm the name
How to rename AirPods on Android
How to change your AirPod name on an android phone is like the path you will take on iOS. Yet, with different systems comes slight differences in method, so follow close!
Please ensure you have your AirPods connected to your Android phone.
- Open your Settings app and select “Connected devices”
- Tap the settings cog next to the Airpods you are trying to change
- Press the Pencil icon located next to the header
- Type the name and press the “Rename” button to confirm
How to rename AirPods on Windows
Windows 10 is still the most commonly used version of Windows in June 2022. Though Windows 11 is the newest version, it is yet to take the market share.
Windows can be the most difficult of the methods how to change the name of AirPods. Though this is the case, if you follow these steps, you will have no problems.
Please make sure your AirPods are connected before continuing.
- Open your “Control Panel”
- Select “Hardware and Sound”
- Select “Devices and Printers”
- Right-click on your AirPods and open the “Properties”
- Go to the Bluetooth tab and edit the name
Why do my AirPods say someone else’s name?
When AirPods is first connected to a device, they will take the name from the device they are connected to. If they have another person’s name, then they have connected to another phone in the past (hopefully you knew that!).
To change the name linked to your AirPods, you will need to transfer ownership. To transfer ownership, you will need to forget the device, and perform a factory reset on your AirPods.
To forget your AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max you need to:
- Go to Settings
- Click on “Bluetooth” on your device
- Find the name of your AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max
- Tap on the blue circled “i” next to it
- On the page that pops up, you then click on the “Forget This Device”
Now I’d like to hear from you. What model of AirPods did you opt to go for and why? I chose the original AirPods and I have always found that style to be the most comfortable.
Leave a comment below, and be sure to check out a commonly asked question here at Producer Hive HQ – What To Do (& Not Do) When Your Airpods Go Through The Wash?
The factory reset is complete once you have removed it from your iPhone. Also, make sure you do not have them linked to any other devices such as a watch or iPad,
How do I re-register my AirPods?
When you connect the AirPods to your device, they “register” to the Apple ID used on the paired device.
The first time you connect your AirPods, open the charging case next to your unlocked phone. A prompt should show up on your home screen to connect your device.
If this prompt is not showing, then on the back of your Airpods is a small circular button. Hold this button down for a few seconds next to your unlocked iPhone and you should receive a prompt to connect.
How do I pair my AirPods with a non-Apple device?
On any hardware not made by Apple, you will not receive the home page prompt to connect your Airpods.
Connecting your AirPods is still possible. You will connect them as you would most/all normal Bluetooth devices.
Open the settings on your device, and open up your Bluetooth settings. When your phone is searching for Bluetooth devices, hold down the Bluetooth button. This is the small circular button on the back of your AirPods charging case.
Once your AirPods are connected, they will function like most Bluetooth headphones. The case lid will function as an on/off switch and each ear-pod will work when removed.
What do the different colored lights mean in my AirPod case?
- Green – Your AirPods are fully charged.
- Orange – There is less than 1 full charge on your AirPods.
- White – Your Airpods are ready to connect to a device.
What is the default AirPod name?
The first time you connect AirPods to an Apple device, they will adopt the name of the device they are connected to.
For example, if your iPhone is called “Sam’s iPhone”, then the AirPods will name themselves “Sam’s AirPods”.
What else can I change about my AirPods?
Within your settings, you will find a whole range of customizability options for your AirPods. You will be able to alter things like what the buttons do and turn on/off the automatic ear detection.
Shopping around for new earbuds? Take a look at our guide to the loudest wireless earbuds on the market.