- Learn how to pair JBL headphones to various devices
- Diagnose JBL connection issues
- Find and solve common JBL headphone problems
- For earbuds users, head to our post on how to pair JBL earbuds.
JBL headphones are hugely popular for a simple reason – they sound great and come in various options from earbuds to over-ear headphones. On top of all this, most offer Bluetooth connectivity!
While Bluetooth is no doubt more convenient than a wired connection, trying to connect JBL headphones this way can sometimes be a little tricky.
We’ve all been there, ready to listen to music, and suddenly pairing mode won’t work.
Luckily pairing your JBL headphones to your smart device is actually pretty easy, and most common issues you encounter are easily solved. Here’s how…
Connecting Your JBL Headphones Via Bluetooth
When connecting your JBL headphones via Bluetooth the first step is to ensure paring mode is switched on on your JBL wireless headphones. This allows the headphones to wirelessly connect to your Bluetooth device.
Doing this is simple: first of all, power on your headphones (you should see a blue power light flash to confirm they are on).
Then it’s a case of hitting the Bluetooth button (this ensures the headphones enter pairing mode) and following the right operating system selections on your device to connect up the headphones.
If you’re using buds there may not be a Bluetooth button to switch on. However, you should see a small button in between the volume up and volume down buttons which performs the same function.
Like pretty pictures? Learn how to pair your JBL headphones with our visual story guide!
How Do I Connect My JBL Headphones To My iPhone or iPad?
First of all, ensure you’re within range of your device and make sure it’s set to pairing mode.
From there you’ll just need to navigate the settings by following these instructions:
- Open ‘Settings’ on your device and click on Bluetooth
- Ensure Bluetooth is turned on (your device will automatically scan for a compatible connection)
- Tap on the name of your JBL headphones
- If you are prompted for a password, enter ‘0000’. If this does not work then check your manual to see if a different code is set to the headphones.
- You should then see the headphones listed as a connected device.
How Do I Connect My JBL Headphones To A Laptop Or Computer?
You may want to connect your JBL headphones to your PC or Windows laptop. Doing so is just as simple as connecting to an iPhone.
To pair your JBL headphones to your Windows computer, follow these instructions:
- Hit the Windows button and click on the cog icon (similarly you can use the search box and just type in ‘settings’)
- Click on ‘Devices’ followed by ‘Bluetooth and Other Devices’
- Ensure your headphones are in pairing mode and hit the ‘+’ symbol to add your device
- Select ‘Bluetooth’
- The computer will then scan for compatible devices
- Locate your headphones and connect
Most PCs will come with an in-built function for pairing Bluetooth devices, but older models may require a Bluetooth adapter to do so.
How Do I Connect My JBL Headphones To A Macbook or iMac?
The process to pair JBL Headphones is the same for both Macbooks and iMacs and is extremely simple to do:
- Click the Apple logo in the top left of your screen, followed by ‘System Preferences’
- In this menu, you should see an option for Bluetooth. Click this
- Ensure your headphones are in pairing mode and you should see them appear on the screen
- Click the connect button to pair
How Do I Pair My JBL Headphones To An Apple Watch?
Connecting your JBL headphones to your Apple Watch is extremely quick and very easy:
- Open ‘Settings’ on your Apple Watch and scroll to the Bluetooth option
- Tap Bluetooth to scan for compatible devices
- Once you see your headphones simply click on them to pair
How Do I Pair My JBL Headphones To A Smart TV?
Most smart TVs will come with an in-built Bluetooth function, however, older models may require an adapter.
Luckily pairing your JBL headphones is quick and easy either way:
- Ensure your headphones are in pairing mode
- Locate the settings on your TV and find the option for Bluetooth
- Scan for applicable devices
- Select your JBL headphones and connect
How Do I Disconnect My JBL Headphones From My Bluetooth Device?
You don’t need to manually disconnect your headphones from your device, all you need to do is switch your headphones off to stop the JBL headphone’s Bluetooth connection.
Similarly, if the device you have paired to is switched off this will automatically drop the connection.
How To Pair JBL Earbuds
If you’re wondering how to Pair JBL earbuds, the process is exactly the same as pairing a set of over-ear headphones.
Simply follow the instructions above to activate the Bluetooth pairing mode and locate the JBL wireless headphones to connect.
Why Is Only One Of My JBL Headphones Connecting?
If you’re in range and only one of your JBL headphones is connecting then it is likely one of two problems.
The first is that the battery may be low which can cause the headphones to stop functioning properly. If this is the case simply recharge your headphones and try again.
Resetting your headphones may also resolve the issue. To do this follow these instructions:
- Ensure the headphones are powered on
- Press and hold in the ‘volume up’ and ‘volume down’ buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds
- When you hear a shutdown sound release the buttons
- After a short while, the headphones will power back on (at this point they are fully reset)
Why Won’t My JBL Headphones Turn On After Charging?
You might find an issue with powering on the headphones despite them being fully charged.
This is a fairly common occurrence but it is usually fixed pretty easily. First off you can try resetting the headphones using the method above, this will often clear any problems the headphones are encountering.
If this doesn’t work however try this method:
- Press and hold the power button for around five seconds
- Then press the power button again 3 times in a row
- Press the power button down once more until the LED light comes on
If you are still unable to power on the headphones after charging and these methods don’t work, you could have a faulty unit.
Contact JBL direct or the retailer you purchased your headphones from (although keep in mind if your warranty has expired they may not be able to directly replace the headphones).
Why Won’t My JBL Headphones Turn Off?
If you’re trying to power down your headphones but they refuse to turn off, it could be that they are still connected to a Bluetooth device.
Normally this won’t be an issue, but check your JBL headphone’s Bluetooth connection. If the device is still playing music this may be the cause of the issue.
Stop the music playing and try again. If you still can’t power down the headphones try resetting them using the instructions above.
Why Aren’t My JBL Earbuds Charging?
If you can’t get your earbuds to charge, it may not be a tech issue but a good old-fashioned cleanliness issue!
Check the pins inside the charging case. Is there a build-up of dirt? If so use a microfibre cloth and very gently remove the dirt.
You’ll also see three holes where the pins insert into the buds themselves.
You may be able to remove some dirt by gently scraping with a toothpick, but we don’t recommend this as you risk damaging your headphones.
If in doubt, take them to the retailer you bought them from or a JBL stockist to take a look.
Why Are My JBL Headphones Flashing Blue/White?
If you can see flashing lights on your headphones it could be that they are trying to connect to a Bluetooth device.
If you’re finding the issue continues without connecting successfully then try resetting your headphones using the instructions above.
You can also check that your device isn’t already linked to another Bluetooth connection. If this is the case, your headphones may be attempting to connect but are being blocked.
(For a look at the biggest headphone brands in existence, check out 7 Best Headphone Brands (That Changed The Game))