- Learn how to track your AirPods
- Find out how to set up the ‘Find My’ app
- Also, check out our post on how to find lost AirPods
Anyone who’s tried Apple’s AirPods can’t stop raving about them. They’re convenient, versatile, and easy to use.
However, they’re also pretty small, which makes them easy to lose and misplace. Yet, there’s still hope for Apple fans.
The developers and masterminds at Apple have finally decided to extend the range of their gadgets’ electronic tether with the iOS 15 released in September 2021.
This leads us to today’s question: can AirPods be tracked? Keep reading to find out.
Can AirPods Be Tracked?
Yes, AirPods can be tracked. However, the feature has gone through several upgrades. Take a look.
Before iOS 15
Before iOS 15, users used to toggle on Apple’s ‘Find My’ app whenever they wanted to locate a lost earbud. However, it only worked if your phone was within Bluetooth range of your AirPods.
In other words, you had to be within 30 feet of the missing AirPods to locate them.
Then, if that weren’t frustrating enough, they also had to be outside their charging case to pick up on the phone’s signal.
After iOS 15
As mentioned above, iOS 15 brought many perks, including the new and improved ‘Find My’ network support.
This feature allows you to locate your missing earbuds no matter how near or far they may be. They can even be outside the Bluetooth range, and they’ll still be able to pick up on the signal sent out by your phone.
Once this feature is activated, you should have no issue tracking down your lost AirPods.
About the ‘Find My’ App
As soon as you open the Find My app, you’ll notice it has four tabs: People, Devices, Items, and Me. We’ll only focus on the ‘Devices’ tab for the sake of this article.
Every Apple device you’ve signed into your iCloud account is listed under this tab. Besides the list, there’s also a map showing the location of each device.
Either tap on the device in the list or the map to open up a drop-down menu with detailed information about each device. You can tell when and where the device was last used, as well as its current battery level.
Remember, the new and improved feature allows you to find your AirPods, whether offline or inside their charging case. They just have to be powered on for this feature to work.
We have to mention, though, that if the earbuds are out of range, you may get a ‘no location found’ or simply ‘offline.’ In this case, the only way to find them is to get directions to where they were last connected and go from there.
If they are online, tap on a button on your phone to get the earbuds, or the charging case, to play a sound. Then, follow the sound as it gradually gets louder the closer you get.
How Does the ‘Find My’ App Work?
The app works by using the missing device’s Bluetooth signal. Then, using nearby iPhones, Macs, and iPads, the feature hones in on the exact location of the earbuds.
Next, you’ll receive an alert notifying you where the AirPods are located. These alerts are 100% encrypted and anonymous. It’s also worth mentioning that none of the nearby devices can interact with your AirPods and vice versa.
It’s all done via end-to-end encryption. Luckily, this prevents everyone from seeing where your missing device is. Even Apple itself won’t know where your AirPods are!
What Are Separation Alerts?
Another great feature of Apple’s Find My support network is the ‘Separation Alerts.’ When you activate it, you get an alert whenever you leave behind one of your AirPods or both.
It’s Apple’s way of helping reduce the risk of your earbuds getting lost or misplaced. It also saves you the hassle of going on a scavenger hunt each time it happens.
How to Activate Lost Mode?
Lost Mode is another feature found on the Find My app. It sends you a message or email if someone finds your earbuds.
Here’s how to turn this feature on:
- First, open the ‘Find My’ app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- In the Devices tab, select your AirPods.
- Next, scroll down to the ‘Mark as Lost’ option and activate it.
- Then, follow the steps on the screen if you’d like to share your contact information in case anyone finds your missing earbuds.
- Finally, select ‘Activate.’
How To Find Lost AirPods In Any Situation
Apple has designed their Airpods to be trackable via Bluetooth or GPS though the latter only applies to 3rd Generation AirPods or later.
These tracking modes only work for specific situations, which we will outline further in this article.
When using Bluetooth (through the ‘’Find My’’ function’s ‘’Play Sound’’ feature on your iPhone), AirPods emit a ringing noise to signal their specific location.
You will also be able to locate your AirPods if somebody else is connected to them. This handy feature is especially beneficial if you have become a victim of theft and had your AirPods stolen.
How to Use Find My on Your iPhone
- Open up the Settings menu on your iPhone home screen. You should see your AirPods in this menu as a list of Available Devices<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>. Tap on your device name.
- A small pop-up menu should appear. Select the ‘’Find My’’ option to launch the function. You will need to provide an Apple ID if you don’t already have one.
- The Find My service should now be enabled on your iPhone. Once the service is live, you will need to activate the following settings:
- Enable Find My AirPods
- Enable offline finding
- Show the last location of my AirPods.
How to Use Find My On Your iPhone to Locate Lost AirPods
- Open up the Settings menu on your iPhone home screen.
- Tap on your Apple ID name at the top of the settings menu and select the ‘’Find My’’ option
- Click on the ‘’Find My iPhone’’ option in the next menu. This feature will track all devices linked to your iPhone, including your AirPods.
- Select the ‘’Devices’’ option at the bottom of the next list. Select the AirPods option in this list. A map should appear showing you the location of your AirPods.
How to Use Find My on Your PC/Laptop
- Visit the iCloud website on your PC/Laptop internet browser at www.icloud.com. Sign into your iCloud account using your Apple ID and password. You might get a verification code sent to your iPhone to log in properly.
- Head to the iCloud menu and select Find iPhone. You will probably need to sign in again using your Apple ID and password.
- Once signed in, you should see a map on your browser screen. Click on the ‘’All Devices’’ tab on this screen, and a menu should appear showing you your trackable devices.
- Your AirPods should appear as an option on this screen. You can now select them to find the location of your lost AirPods.
How to Use Bluetooth to Locate AirPods
If you have lost or misplaced your AirPods, they can be tracked down with Bluetooth through your iPhone.
The downside of losing your AirPods in their charging case is that you will not be able to use “Find My” to locate them as they will not emit their locator signal.
Your AirPods will also have to be within the Bluetooth range of your iPhone to be effectively tracked.
You can follow the steps below to locate your AirPods via Bluetooth:
- Open up the Find My application from your iPhone. Look for your AirPods under the list of Available Devices on tap on them.
- A map should appear that shows you the last known location of your AirPods. If they are in their charging case, then this location is probably where the AirPods have been lost or are stored.
- Select the Play Sound option to activate this. A constant tone will play from both of your AirPods, and this sound will increase in volume as you get closer to them.
How to Use Find My to Locate A Single AirPod
The “Find My” function will show you the last known location of your AirPods if they are not in their charging case.
If you have lost a single AirPod and still have the charging case, place the one you still have in this case and close the lid.
You can then use the Find My function from your iPhone/PC or other devices to locate the lost AirPod via Bluetooth or GPS.
Amber flashing light on your AirPods? Heres what it means (and what to do).
Tips for Preventing AirPods from Getting Lost
Accidents happen all the time, and in a fast-paced world, it can be quite easy to lose or misplace an AirPod.
We’ve compiled a shortlist of some tips and habits that you can adopt to try and ensure the safekeeping of your AirPods.
- Practice Safe Storage– Designate one to three primary places where you only store your AirPods or their charging case. This practice will help minimize the risk of you leaving your AirPods in random places and lowers the likelihood of you losing them
- Airpod Straps/Hooks – You can purchase a variety of Airpod straps or hooks that hang from the ear or around the neck during use. These AirPod accessories will help keep your Airpods from falling off unnecessarily and will help lower the risk of loss.
- Enabling Lost Mode – Owners of 3rd Generation Airpods, Airpod Pros, or Airpod Max can use the Lost Mode function as an extra option under the Find My service. Lost mode lets users attach a personal message with their contact details to their AirPods. If someone finds the AirPods and links them to their iPhone, this message will appear, and they can contact you to arrange to have your Airpods returned.
- Separation Alerts – This option only applies to owners of iPhone 12 or later. You can set up separation alerts that notify you every time you get out of a certain range from your AirPods. Activate this setting in the ‘’Find My’’ menu.
So, can AirPods be tracked? Definitely!
Just make sure to set up your ‘Find My’ app and sign in to all your devices before the unthinkable happens. This way, you’ll be able to quickly locate your earbuds, even if they’re offline or out of range!
Before you go, check out our guide on How To Find Your Lost Or Stolen AirPod Case (The Easy Way)!