- Looking for the best power conditioner for your music studio?
- We have an in-depth look at some of the best on the market
- Featuring products from the likes of Furman, Monster, and Radial
- Also, check out our guide on the best power supplies for guitar pedals.
Power conditioners have become a staple at music studios, at least at the informed ones. This is because they help improve the quality of the electricity supply going into your gear.
Besides reducing noise interference by handling the voltage and frequency of the supply, they can also protect your valuable and often expensive gear from electrical surges and voltage fluctuations.
In other words, you need a power conditioner to work and to continue to work.
What Are The Best Power Conditioners For Music Studios?
Our pick for the best power conditioner for music studios is the Furman M-8×2 8 Outlet Power Conditioner. It provides an ideal balance of features and cost and will do a fantastic job protecting your gear and sound quality.
For those that need the best, the Furman P-1800 AR Voltage Regulator / Power Conditioner is our Premium Choice. And for those that do not have rack spaces, run a project studio, and are on a budget, we have the Monster 8001 Pro MI.
These are our candidates for the best power conditioner for music studios and audiophiles:
- Furman M-8×2 8 Outlet Power Conditioner (Our Pick)
- Monster 8001 Pro MI (Best Value)
- Furman P-1800 AR Voltage Regulator / Power Conditioner (Best Premium)
- Radial Power-2 Power Conditioner
- Black Lion Audio PG-XLM Rackmount Power Conditioner
- ART PS4x4PRO USB Dual Metered Power Distribution System
- SurgeX SX-DS-158 Defender Series
1. Furman M-8×2 8 Outlet Power Conditioner (Our Pick)
Get eight more outlets of reliable power! Furman's M-8x2 is a remarkably affordable power conditioner that's perfect for your studio or live sound rig.
- Extremely affordable
- Increases the sound quality of your entire system
- LED protection indicator
The Furman’s M-8×2 is an extremely affordable power conditioner that can be used for the studio or a live sound rig. Besides freeing up your wall outlets, the M-8×2 power conditioner filters the noise out, which increases the sound quality of your entire system. This is our pick for this list.
- 8-outlet power conditioner for clean and reliable power
- Compact 1U, 3.75″- deep design fits into almost all racks
- Up to 15 amps of power, for your entire basic studio and live rigs
- Multiple layers of filtering to remove noise
- Wall-wart spacing on rear outlets for compatibility
The Furman M-8×2 is housed in a rugged, road-ready metal 1U chassis to ensure durability. If you wish, you can conveniently rackmount your Furman M-8×2 for added comfort. It features a 3.75″-deep design, which allows you to add a Furman M-8×2 power conditioner to your shallowest portable rack.
The Furman M-8×2 features up to 15 amps of power, multiple layers of filtering (RFI/EMI filtration), and a front-mounted LED protection indicator that lets you know that your gear is being adequately protected.
Additionally, this power conditioner features a compact 1U, 3.75″-deep design that all but ensures that it fits in just about any rack.
This unit weighs 4.9 lbs and measures 1.75″ in height x 19″ in width x 7.5″ in depth. In other words, if you want to protect your valuable gear and reduce noise with an affordable tool, the Furman M-8×2 is a solid choice.
2. Monster 8001 Pro MI (Best Value)
With the Monster 8001 Pro MI Power Strip at your disposal, you can rest assured your gear and devices are protected against dangerous power surges.
- Simple yet incredibly effective
- Delivers clean power to your gear
- Housed in a tough metal case
Rack units are great, but what if you have a small project studio that also requires voltage surge protection and unwanted noise attenuation? That is where the Monster 8001 Pro MI comes in.
This power conditioner comes in a power strip form factor, and will most likely fit perfectly underneath your work desk. This is our best value choice for this list.
- Protects your equipment from power surges and power outages
- 8 power and 2 USB outlets
- Monster’s fireproof MOV technology ensures your equipment will be safe from sparking a fire
- Delivers clean power to your gear
- 1960-joule rating
The Monster 8001 Pro MI is an 8-outlet Surge Protected Power Strip with EMI/RFI Attenuation, 2 USB Outlets, and a 15′ Cord. Simple yet incredibly effective, this unit will ensure that your home studio gear is protected. It will also keep unwanted noise at bay and charge your phone simultaneously!
The Monster 8001 Pro MI provides you guaranteed protection against power surges and features EMI/RFI interference-free, clean power at 1960 joules.
Additionally, this outlet power conditioner is built like a tank, and its tough metal case feels nearly indestructible, thus guaranteeing durability.
Because of its 15′ chord, you have the flexibility to plug wherever the wall power outlet is found in your room, without having to use extension chords. The Monster 8001 Pro MI even features a handle on its end, so you can move it conveniently without touching any of the connected power cables.
In short, Monster has produced a fantastic solution for home studios without rack spaces and on a limited budget.
3. Furman P-1800 AR Voltage Regulator / Power Conditioner (Best Premium)
Not only is the P-1800 AR a high-quality voltage regulator, but it's also a fully-featured power conditioner, packed with Furman's best-of-the-best filtering and purifying protection technologies.
- Protects from damaging voltage issues
- Purifies and filters your power
- Provides a stable 120 volts of AC power
The Furman P-1800 AR is a power conditioner and voltage regulator that gives you trustworthy protection against potentially destructive power issues.
In addition to the major protection of our gear, this power conditioner also purifies and filters your power to preserve the integrity of our audio. This is our premium choice for the most discerning audiophiles and pro audio enthusiasts.
- Maximum Current: 15 amps @ 124 Volts
- Line Cord: Captive 3/14 AWG, 10 ft. black cord with NEMA 15 plug
- BNC Socket w/Switch: 12VAC 500MA maxx (lamp not included)
- Operating Voltage: 90 to 139 VAC
- Over-Voltage Shutdown: 140 VAC Nominal
- Approximate Input Voltage Capture Range: 97 to 137 VAC
The Furman P-1800 AR delivers a stable 120 volts of AC power, protecting your valuable gear from issues caused by AC line voltage anomalies that can include sags, brownouts, and overvoltages.
The P-1800AR can accept voltages across a wide AC range, transforming it into a constant safe output, so you can truly concentrate on your audio work.
Additionally, the P-1800 AR comes with all of Furman’s best technologies packed into the box, including Linear Filtering Technology (LiFT), which eliminates issues with AC line noise.
On top of that, this unit also comes with Furman’s additional protective measures, including their Series Multi-Stage Protection (SMP) and Extreme Voltage Shutdown (EVS).
Additional features on this fantastic power conditioner rack include spike Protection Mode for using line to neutral with zero ground leakage, spike clamping voltage of 188 VAC peak @ 3,000, a response time of 1 nanosecond, maximum surge current of 6,500 Amps, and noise attenuation of 10 dB @ 10 kHz, 40 dB @ 100 kHz, 50 dB @ 500 kHz.
4. Radial Power-2 Power Conditioner
Housed in a rugged 1U rackmount chassis, the Radial Engineering Power-1 from Sweetwater provides clean power and reliable surge protection for studios and live sound applications.
- Rugged 1U rackmount power supply
- Handy front-panel USB charging point
- Provides clean power
The Radial Power-2 is a rugged 1U rackmount power supply that provides clean power and reliable surge protection for studios and live sound applications.
It comes with Radial’s reputation for excellent build and reliability and is one of the best power conditioners on the market today.
- 9 total front-panel and rear-panel outlets with wall wart spacing
- Front-panel USB charging point for mobile devices
- Slide-out tray with multicolor LED illumination
- US-made Metal Oxide Varistor provides superior surge protection
- High-rejection RF interference filter mitigates high-frequency noise and removes AM radio signals
The Radial Power-2 features a high-quality, US-made Metal Oxide Varistor that provides exceptional thermal protection as well as a longer lifespan. Additionally, it features a high-rejection RF interference filter that keeps out high-frequency noise and AM radio signals.
This filter ensures that your equipment can work properly and is devoid of unwanted audio clutter. Radial cleverly designed this unit with one front outlet, eight rear outlets (four of which are spaced for wall warts), a front-panel USB charging point, and an innovative slide-out tray with multicolor LED illumination.
With this amount of outlets and features, the Power-2 is ideal for powering and protecting a sizable rig.
Additional features on the Radial Power-2 include a LED protection indicator, weight of 10.4 lbs. It measures 1.47″ in height, 19″ in width, and 9.97″ in depth.
Radial built a fantastic power conditioner with the Power-2, with plenty of outputs, features, and quality to spare.
5. Black Lion Audio PG-XLM Rackmount Power Conditioner
Housed in a rugged 1U rackmount chassis, the PG-XLM incorporates superior PG-90 Filtering Technology and top-drawer components to protect your equipment from power-spike damage while providing clean, well-regulated power for optimum performance.
- Features PG-90 Filtering Technology
- Outstanding power absorption
Black Lion Audio has enabled musicians and engineers to improve the sound of their equipment since 2006. This company has a solid reputation for helping many get world-class sound out of modestly priced gear.
The PG-XLM is another fantastic product by Black Lion, and one of the power conditioners available today.
- Features PG-90 Filtering Technology
- Top-drawer components and design for excellent power and noise filtering
- Built with premium Panasonic and Wima capacitors
- Digital LED voltage monitor display on front panel
- 2 front-panel pull-out LED lights with 3-way switch (off, low, high)
The Black Lion Audio PG-XLM features premium Panasonic and Wima capacitors that can filter high-frequency noise, depriving your gear of its peak performance at a much higher efficiency rate. Its PG-90 Filtering Technology ensures that your gear remains free of unwanted noise.
The PG-XLM boasts an outstanding power absorption rating of 175 joules, ensuring your gear is entirely protected from all hazardous power conditions.
Black Lion did a fantastic job on the PG-XLM design. It includes 2 front-panel pull-out LED lights with a 3-way switch (off, low, high) and 8 switched, filtered, and surge-protected outlets on the rear panel.
Additionally, you get 1 filtered convenience outlet and a USB port on the front panel. In short, a fantastic solution to protecting your studio or live rig gear from voltage fluctuations and noise.
6. ART PS4x4PRO USB Dual Metered Power Distribution System
Safeguard your gear against power spikes and surges with the ART PS4x4 PRO USB. But that’s not all — the PS4x4 PRO USB also employs ART’s Advanced Power Filtering, which minimizes unwanted noise.
- Guarantees durability
- Minimizes unwanted noise
The PS4x4 PRO USB features ART’s Advanced Power Filtering. To help minimize unwanted noise, it has a power capacity of up to 1,800 watts and comes in a rugged enclosure that all but guarantees durability.
It has enough outlets to safely power your studio and live rig gear, and then some. Regarding equipment protection and ensuring sound quality, the PS4x4 PRO excels as one of the best power conditioners for audiophiles, and pro audio enthusiasts.
- Advanced Power Filtering (APF) minimizes unwanted noise
- Voltage/current metering display supplies at-a-glance confirmation that your system is safe
- Includes 8 rear-panel outlets and 1 front-mounted unswitched outlet
- 2 front-panel USB charging ports for your smartphones, tablets, and other devices
- Rear outlets feature power-adapter-friendly positioning to accommodate wall warts
The PS4x4 PRO USB features plenty of outlets for your gear, in an innovative and convenient design by ART. You get eight outlets on the rear panel, one on the front, and two USB charging ports on the front.
One of the most notable features of this unit is ART’s Advanced Power Filtering (APF). This technology employs both common mode and differential mode topologies in series, which minimizes undesirable noise between the AC line and ground, along with both sides of the AC line.
The PS4x4 PRO USB purges the electrical current that reaches your gear, eliminating noise above 10kHz, while attenuating noise above 100kHz by over 40 dB.
Working in venues with poor lighting? The PS4x4 PRO USB features pull-out lights that let you clearly see what’s happening on the front panels of your gear, while a rear-mounted gooseneck light source makes it easy to see the connections behind your rack.
Additionally, this amp power conditioner features an easy-to-read input voltage/current metering display that gives you at-a-glance confirmation that your system is safe.
7. SurgeX SX-DS-158 Defender Series
With the SurgeX Defender Series power conditioner, you'll benefit from non-sacrificial, multi-stage wiring fault protection, which includes over-voltage shutdown.
- Features advanced filtering
- Includes a 9-foot line cord
With the new SurgeX Defender Series line of products, power protection doesn’t have to be sacrificed regardless of the budget or size of the system.
It was developed mainly for everyday applications and provides cost-effective, comprehensive power protection and conditioning to increase uptime and ensure equipment functions properly.
- 8-outlet, 120V power conditioner
- Non-sacrificial, multi-stage wiring fault protection
- Advanced filtering tackles normal and common-mode electrical noise interference
- 1U rack-sized unit with magnetic-shielded steel enclosure
- 9-foot line cord included
The SurgeX SX-DS-158 is a Defender Series power conditioner that protects your gear by providing surge suppression and power filtration. It features 8 outlets and a plug configuration of 15A/120V.
The SurgeX SX-DS-158, just like the other power conditioners on the Defender Series, was designed with patented non-sacrificial Multi-Stage surge suppression technology. In other words, your equipment will be protected against electrical transients that can disrupt the system.
This unit features three stages of protection and its advanced filtering effectively eliminates normal and common mode electrical noise interference that can cause reboots and downtime.
This unit weighs 6.580 lbs and measures 1.75″ in height, 19″ in width, and 8.5″ in depth (occupying 1 space rack). The SurgeX SX-DS-158 Defender Series surge suppression and power filtration come with a limited 5-year warranty.
Do power conditioners make a difference/are they worth it?
Yes. A power conditioner makes a big difference and is well worth it. They are is a crucial piece of equipment that filters out the “dirty” power and keeps your equipment safer and operating more efficiently. Power conditioners ensure that you get the best possible sound quality and that your equipment lasts for as long as possible
Do power conditioners really work?
Yes. Not only do power conditioners protect your equipment, they also preserve your sound. This is especially true with audio equipment that tends to be sensitive to the voltage output of a power source.
How do you choose a power conditioner?
One of the primary considerations is budget and space (whether you can accommodate a rack unit or not).
When do you use a power conditioner?
You should use a power conditioner anytime you are working on your studio, as it will keep your gear protected and ensure the best possible sound quality.
Do power conditioners improve sound quality?
Yes. Power conditioners improve sound quality by filtering unwanted noise and preserving the integrity of your signal.
What does a power conditioner do?
A surge protector power conditioner helps preserve your sound quality by filtering unwanted noise. Besides being a noise filter, it also acts as a voltage regulator to ensure your equipment lasts.