- Flanging is a classic stompbox effect beloved by guitarists of all styles.
- We look at the best flanger pedals for sweeps, subtle detuning, and full-on modulation madness.
- From analog richness to digital versatility, you’ll find plenty of options here.
- Also, check out our pick of the best flanger plugins!
Flange is a classic modulation effect with roots in analog tape machines, where engineers would press down on the “flanges” on the tape machine to vary the speed. Flanger pedals give guitarists this unique effect in a simple stompbox. The sound of a flanger pedal can range from subtle sweeping to full on “jet engine” effects.
Like most things guitar-related, not all flanger pedals are created equal, and this is complicated by the individual preferences of each guitarist as well. This list features a variety of options for flanging, from simple, no-frills pedals to unique and versatile modulation machines.
(If you’re still unsure about the differences between flanger and phaser pedals, we’ve got you covered with Chorus vs Flanger vs Phaser: Breaking It Down)
What Are The 7 Best Flanger Pedals?
The Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress is our pick for this list. This pedal offers a fantastic combination of features, price, and size, and has become a modern classic for flangers.
For those who are truly picky about their sound and pedal quality, the EarthQuaker Devices Pyramids Stereo Flange Pedal is our premium option.
And for those that value authenticity over anything else, the Keeley Bubble Tron Dynamic Flanger Phaser is our most unique choice.
So…here are our candidates for the 7 best flanger pedals!
- Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress (Our Pick)
- Universal Audio UAFX Astra Modulation Machine Pedal
- EarthQuaker Devices Pyramids Stereo Flange Pedal (Premium Option)
- Keeley Bubble Tron Dynamic Flanger Phaser (Most Unique)
- Strymon Orbit dBucket Flanger Pedal
- TC Electronic Vortex Flanger Stereo
- Source Audio Mercury
1. Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress
The Stereo Electric Mistress lets you manually flange your signal, or freeze the modulated sound in Filter Matrix Mode. You can achieve some truly incredible modulations using the Flanger and Chorus controls together.
- Fantastic modulated tones
- Organic sound
The Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress is a unique and unusual pedal. It can give you stellar results whether you’re looking for wild experimentation or traditional flanging.
It comes with all the quality, great sound, and durability that Electro-Harmonix is known for. The Stereo Electric Mistress is our pick for best flanger pedal on this list!
- Fantastic modulated tones
- Flange, chorus, and filter effects
- Rate, Flanger Depth, and Chorus Depth controls
- True stereo operation
- Heavy-duty construction
The EHX Stereo Electric Mistress is a flanger and chorus combo pedal that works wonderfully. Often, when you combine two or more effects in the same pedal, the results tend to be lackluster.
This EHX flanger pedal is digital and sports a very simple design that actually helps its functionality. It features controls for Rate, Flanger Depth, Chorus Depth, and a footswitch.
This modulation pedal enables you to use both the flanger and chorus effects independently or combined together.
The Rate knob gives you quite a bit of range and is sensitive to how you play your instrument. If you take it to the 10 o’clock position, you enter the featured Filter Matrix Mode for flanger which spans all the way to 12 o’clock position. In this mode, you get to freeze the effect.
Even though the Stereo Electric Mistress is a digital pedal, it sounds quite organic and won’t upset anyone after classic “analog” vibes.
This unit also features heavy-duty construction, a LED indicator, and a rugged footswitch. It works with a 9V DC power supply which is included when you buy this pedal.
Simply said, the Stereo Electric Mistress is one of the best in the market, especially considering its price.
2. Universal Audio UAFX Astra Modulation Machine Pedal
Universal Audio has taken a selection of their finest DSP-powered emulations of classic effects and packed them into thoughtfully designed, ultra-robust guitar pedals that are a tone chaser’s dream come true.
- Three legendary modulation effects
- Gorgeous tones
- Loads of grit
Well, Universal Audio has jumped in the pedal game with quite a splash!
Their first ever stompbox pedal line draws from their finest DSP-powered emulations of classic effects. These DSP algorithms have been packed into thoughtfully designed and durable guitar pedals that are ideal for discerning players who want the best.
The Universal Audio Astra Modulation Machine gives you three legendary modulation effects at your feet: a bucket brigade chorus, a flanger/doubler, and a vintage amp tremolo.
- 3 classic modulation effect emulations powered by UAD DSP
- Chorus Brigade conjures up the 1970s big gray unit’s lush, analog chorus and vibrato
- Flanger/Doubler re-creates the characterful blueface bucket brigade rackmount flanger
- Trem 65 offers warm, opto tube-style tremolo with sine and square wave modes
- Operates in mono, dual-mono, and stereo modes with automatic mono/stereo detection
The Astra Modulation Machine is a relatively new arrival, and it comes from one of the most respected companies in audio.
It features true bypass switching and an optional buffered bypass, which keeps your core tone intact while you layer on your modulation mojo.
This pedal reproduces the sound of the legendary bright blue rack-unit flanger and doubler that was released in the late seventies and was part of the rig of professional guitarists during the 1980s and 1990s. Universal Audio captured this “meta” effect, which used bucket-brigade circuitry to mimic the analog tape flanging effect that was heavily employed by psychedelic bands in the 1960s.
The Flanger/Doubler on the Astra Modulation Machine offers you a range of effects, from unstable-tape-machine wow and flutter to underwater whooshing, all with gorgeous tone and loads of grit.
Besides flanging, this pedal also features a beautiful “Chorus Brigade” (BBD style analog), a Trem 65 for warm opto tube-style tremolo with sine and square wave modes, as well as the new X90 Phaser and Dharma Trem 61.
If you like a true modulation workhorse that offers you high quality and flexibility, the Universal Audio Astra Modulation Machine is for you.
(Universal Audio has also jumped into the DAW game! Check out what makes LUNA so unique in our full review here!)
EarthQuaker Devices Pyramids Stereo Flange Pedal (Premium Option)
The EarthQuaker Devices Pyramids could be the ultimate stereo flanger pedal. Eight modes and five recallable user presets unleash decades of flange inspiration at a moment's notice.
- A whopping eight modes
- Five recallable user presets
- Subdivision toggle on tap switch
The Pyramids Stereo Flange features so many flanger flavors and options that is hard to beat for those that want to truly be able to control their sound. This is our premium option for this list.
- Studio-grade 24-bit/96kHz digital stereo flanger pedal
- 8 modes for decades of inspiration
- 5 user presets for custom patching
- Tap switch and subdivision toggle
- Mix knob acts as a wet/dry control
These modes are:
- Classic (jet-plane flanger effect)
- Through-zero (authentic tape-style flanging with swirling stereo comb filter effects)
- Barber Pole Up (continuously ascending Shepard tone)
- Barber Pole Down (continuously descending Shepard tone)
- Trigger Up (infinitely ascending sweep that restarts with each pick attack or press of the Tap/Trigger switch)
- Trigger Down (infinitely descending sweep that restarts with each pick attack or press of the Tap/Trigger switch)
- Step (rhythmic, sequencer-like stepped sweeps in both directions)
- Random (chaotic flange effects, similar to a synthesizer’s “sample and hold” function).
That’s enough flanging to last you a lifetime!
Additionally, the Pyramids Stereo Flange also features a Tap switch with a subdivision toggle that allows you to key into the tempo of your songs, quite an unusual trait for traditional flanger devices.
This pedal uses a proprietary 24-bit/96kHz DSP architecture, for superior stereo depth and clarity. It also features a Flexi-switch, which allows latching or momentary operation to add texture to a chorus or sweeten a quick harmonic occasionally.
The Pyramids Stereo Flange also includes a Mix knob that lets you dial in the right amount of sweetening, and true bypass switching preserves the integrity of your signal when out of the loop.
In short, this is one of the most impressive flanger pedals on the market today.
4. Keeley Bubble Tron Dynamic Flanger Phaser (Most Unique)
Pedal guru Robert Keeley designed a very unique flanger pedal with the Keeley Bubble Tron. This pedal features signal manipulation techniques reminiscent of guitar iconoclast Frank Zappa.
The Tron Dynamic is a flanger/phaser pedal that dynamically responds to your pick attack, cycling only as you play. If you want a truly unique flanger pedal, the Bubble Tron is hard to beat.
- Dynamic flanger/phaser pedal with Random Stepped Filter
- Incorporates signal manipulation techniques employed by the legendary Frank Zappa
- Dynamically responds to your pick attack, cycling only as you play
- Combine its 3 modes of operation in uniquely creative ways
- It may be switched internally for standard (non-dynamic) phase/flange operation
The Keeley Bubble Tron Dynamic Flanger Phaser pedal features a Random Stepped Filter with proprietary M-Style Synth bandpass shaping as well as three modes of operation.
Robert Keeley designed this pedal based on Frank Zappa’s infamous MicMix DynaFlanger effect. This effect was central to Zappa’s lead guitar sounds that relied upon envelope-based dynamic flanging.
The effect starts and stops based on your pick attack, effectively creating an “envelope” that can be used to modulate another part of the circuit.
In other words, with the Bubble Tron, you’ll get a flanger effect that is unique to your playing.
Additionally, the Bubble Tron offers a choice of either positive or negative feedback via its FDBK control, allowing you to customize your sound even further.
The Bubble Tron also features two phasers: Standard and DynaMoPhase. The standard phaser sports an LFO with a Rate Control that sets its speed while depth is controlled dynamically. The other is a true Dynamic Phaser that starts and stops according to your pick attack.
To top it off, the Bubble Tron also features a Filter Section. This is the only effect on board that isn’t dynamic.
You can deploy the Filter to control effect ramping, and explore degrees of randomness with the Shape Control. The Sensitivity Control is designed to operate like a vintage synth-style bandpass filter, and with it, you can create impressive keyboard-like sounds.
If you’re into sonic experimentation and appreciate having your very own distinctive sound, then the Keeley Bubble Tron is a fantastic choice for you.
Strymon Orbit dBucket Flanger Pedal
Strymon's Orbit dBucket Flanger effects pedal gives you the swooshing sound of the most desired vintage analog flanging effects.
- Wide variety of flanging effects
- Highly customizable
- Vintage analog flanging tones
The Strymon Orbit dBucket Flanger pedal features an effective and very useful mix of front-panel controls that let you go from chorus-like detuning to intense jet plane effects.
If you like to get into the nuts and bolts of your sound, the Orbit dBucket is a great choice as it features extensive I/O and deep-editing secondary characteristics that let you dial in the ideal sound to fit your performance needs.
- Wide range of analog-sounding flanging
- “Favorite” footswitch recalls your preset
- 5 knobs and 2 high-quality switches fine-tune the pedal’s performance
- Each control offers a secondary feature for further editing
- Expression pedal input offers real-time controls
The Strymon Orbit dBucket Flanger pedal features a faceplate with controls for Speed, Width, Mix, Regen, and Manual. Through the use and combination of these five controls, you can achieve a wide variety of flanging effects for several different situations.
The Orbit dBucket Flange is a great example of this philosophy and is one of the best flanger pedals on the market today!
Also check out Strymon Timeline Vs Boss DD-500
6. TC Electronic Vortex Flanger Stereo
Flanging is one of the most classic modulation effects, discovered by accident and cultivated by some of the best guitarists in rock history. The TC Electronic Vortex flange takes this breathtaking effect to a whole new dimension.
- Compact and durable
- 2 flanger types
- Easy battery access
The TC Electronic Vortex Flanger is a compact and quite durable pedal from one of the top effects makers today.
It offers conventional flanging as well as the ability to design your own effect. The Vortex has a great cost-benefit relationship and will easily fit on any pedalboard.
- 2 flanger types
- TonePrint gives you instant access to custom pedal tweaks made by top guitar players
- Stereo I/O for added flexibility
- Switchable True Bypass lets you preserve your tone
- Analog-Dry-Through provides maximum tonal integrity and clarity
The Vortex Flanger features TC Electronic’s trademark TonePrint technology. TonePrint allows you to plug the pedal into your computer and fine-tune the effect using software to find exactly the sound you’re looking for.
This pedal also features two flanging modes – one for “classic rock” and another for a more stereotypical “airplane” flange sound. You’ll find true stereo inputs, outputs, true bypass, as well as durable components to ensure reliability on a high level.
The Vortex Flanger features a four knob design along with a single switch (plus the footswitch). The controls are Speed, Depth, Feedback, and Delay Time and all four are very sensitive.
The aforementioned switch is right between the top two knobs and is used to select between the classic flanger, TonePrint mode, and tape flanger.
Naturally, of the three modes, TonePrint is the most interesting. This mode comes with presets of various professionals and artists, or you can use the software to design your own flanger and then save it, for a true tone-shaping experience.
In short, this is a fantastic flanger pedal that lets you get the exact sound you’re after.
7. Source Audio Mercury
The Source Audio Mercury offers versatility for the modern guitar player in three types of high-quality flangers, including through-zero flanging (an option not commonly found on typical flanger pedals).
This pedal is compact and durable, coming with an expression input, Stereo I/O, and Software Editor to get the exact sound you’re after.
- 3 distinctive flanger modes onboard, with more available via Neuro Editor software
- Free Neuro Editor offers access to the additional phaser, flanger, and chorus engines, plus deep parameter tweaking
- Stock phaser types include Classic, Through-zero, and Shadow
- Stereo I/O with multiple effects routing options
- Switchable bypass modes — choose from buffered or true bypass
The Source Audio Mercury Flanger Pedal features three distinct flavors of flanger: smooth and subtle, through-zero, and highly resonant.
Each of these is self-explanatory and together offers you a wide array of options for flangers that can tackle anything from traditional flanging all the way to the experimental side of things.
The Mercury flanger features Source Audio’s Neuro Editor software, which takes you inside the pedal’s 56-bit Sigma DSP and allows you to fine-tune all sorts of parameters.
Additionally, the Neuro Editor grants you access to more flanger engines, as well as phasers and choruses.
Best of all, once you’ve dialed your ideal sounds, you can save up to three of them on the Source Audio Mercury Flanger pedal for instant recall, without having to bring up the editor again.
This pedal works with a 9V DC 180mA power supply that is included and is a solid option for anybody looking for a decent flanger pedal with a wide range of options.